Monday, January 25, 2010

2nd Post for English: Comic Strips Animated

Hi all, I'm back with another exciting blog post! Today, I'll be talking about (drumroll please). . . animating comic strips! Doesn't that sound amazing and extraordinary?
Before I get into the thick of things, however, here's a little something on the subject of today's post.
There was once an absolutely fabulous American comic strip called "Calvin and Hobbes", about a six year old boy, Calvin, and his imaginary friend, Hobbes the tiger. Calvin is hyperactive, obnoxious (mostly in the presence of the opposite gender) and rebellious. He doesn't do his homework, annoys his parents, plots "evil" against his neighbour and classmate Susie and generally makes a nuisance of himself. Hobbes, on the other hand, is somewhat quieter, more reserved and has more common sense then Calvin on the whole. He likes to think of himself as "charming", "sophisticated" but also a "ferocious, man-eating tiger". Needless to say, the two are fun loving and enjoy each others' company most of the time as they go about gallivanting or planning their next misadventure.
This comic strip, written by Bill Watterson, has captured the hearts of many, even citing some to call this the best comic strip ever.
Here's an example of one of my favourites:
















Cute, right?

Anyway, I was looking at this particular strip when I realised: Hey, why not animate this?
The next thing I know, I had opened Adobe Flash cs4 (a powerful animating software) and started to animate the "movie" in which a tiger eats a stick man.
The final result (click the picture to see the animation):So, basically that's what I did today in my spare time. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment