Wednesday, January 27, 2010

5th Post for English: SNYS

Good evening, dear distinguished readers. As you can see from the title of this post (unless you're blind, in which case I'm surprised you could even find my blog), this is the fifth and final "serious" post for English; a milestone in the soon-to-be history of this blog.
If I recall correctly, my last post was a little disappointing, opting to write about subjects about school rather than some other bombastic, fantastic subject.
For this particular post, however, I have decided to write about a CCA of mine, which I just attended about 2 hours ago. It's called the SNYS, or Singapore National Youth Sinfonia. If you haven't heard of it, don't panic. SNYS is not a CCA in my school, it's a sort of external CCA that I attend not in school but at the MOE CCA Branch somewhere in town.
SNYS is basically a concert orchestra, rather like the Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) except that SNYS is only for youths, as the name implies. It's made up of 4 different instrument sections: strings (violin, cello, etc), woodwinds (flute, bassoon, etc), brass, (trumpet, tuba, etc) and percussion(drums, etc). If you're going to ask me what instrument I play, get ready for a big surprise: I play the cello (crowd gasps in awe).
If you don't know what a cello looks like, here's a picture:

Yes, I can play a cello, even if it seems big for someone of my height (I am NOT revealing it).
But less about that. Anyway, I attend SNYS twice a week, playing classics like Beethoven, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Elgar, and so on. If you're going to ask me, they are all famous musical composers whom you would know if you had any musical background.
currently, we're playing three pieces: Mendelssohn's Fingal's cave and Smetana's (don't ask me who he is) Sarka and My Homeland. If you want to listen to these pieces, click on the links at the bottom of this post.
We have concerts twice a year, usually at the Victoria Concert Hall. By the way, our next concert is in March and you can attend if you like. All the management is asking from you would be $5.If you are interested, let me know and I'll tell you the exact details.
I find it quite enjoyable to play in the SNYS as it exposes me to what performing in a concert is like. It also requires a lot of teamwork as we have to all play together in order to be synchronised in our playing.
Well, that's the end of this post, and the "Epic Five". Thanks for reading, I'll be back - hopefully!

Links:
Fingal's Cave
Sarka
My Homeland

No comments:

Post a Comment